Monday, August 10, 2026
The Barnacle
As shared elsewhere, I captured this footage of the Barnacle, a historic site in Miami’s Coconut Grove, in 2013. For years, like many, I passed by this land in the Village, but never went inside. This video has a special place in my heart because my mother went with me. She is in hospice now and it really meant a lot to me that she was always supportive of my research. Once, when she first got ill, she even sat in the car while I quickly ran into University of Miami’s Special Collections library to do some research. A kind security guard watched her sit in the roundabout near the Student Union. A/C was on. Anyway, wanted to share this footage. Afterwards, we had lunch in the Village. Oh to go back to that moment when she was tired, but still well enough to go here and there with me. PS I descend in part from Bahamians, or the people the Barnacle’s founder, welcomed during Miami’s earliest days, as shared in this video.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Barnacle
As shared elsewhere, I captured this footage of the Barnacle, a historic site in Miami’s Coconut Grove, in 2013. For years, like many, I pas...
-
I have marveled at how so many of us are looking back at our shared memories of our beloved Coconut Grove via social media sites like Facebo...
-
I am preparing to share a children's book I wrote that is inspired by my grandmother Lillie "Bahama Mama" Earvin who was known...
-
As shared elsewhere, I captured this footage of the Barnacle, a historic site in Miami’s Coconut Grove, in 2013. For years, like many, I pas...
No comments:
Post a Comment