Wednesday, July 22, 2026
Miami's Coconut Grove Circa 1980s
I have marveled at how so many of us are looking back at our shared memories of our beloved Coconut Grove via social media sites like Facebook. I wanted to share a poster I found in the archives at the Library of Congress.
I also want to share a mixed media piece I made to widen the lens on that map in a more personal way. Happy walks down memory lane.
PS I was born in 1967 and lived on Jefferson across from present day Carver Middle School before, as I share in my recently published book, my parents moved to a brand new house in Carol City, now part of present day Miami Gardens. That was a huge feat for a couple who had only recently graduated from high school.
Here are some close ups of the map.
And here is my mixed media map that reels in areas beyond the "Village":
Update (July 25, 2026):
I was struck by the number of people who were happy to see the Coconut Grove map I recently shared above. I want to also share how the Grove looked in 1938, 1951, 1978 and 2009. I was interested in these maps, which a wonderful cartographer at my university found on my behalf, because I wanted to see where a boarding house in present-day West Grove. My late great grandmother used to run it. It was called the Sugar Shack and it was on Grand just west of Douglas Road. I used to sit on the second floor verandah and watch the cars and busses pass. There was a mango street in the back yard. Termite infestation resulted in its demolition. It was made of wood. A barbershop was next door. I loved getting candy for the jar the barber offered young customers. I recall that my great grandmother's tenants were only men. They were likely new arrivals to the area looking for work. She was such a tough woman, even though her birth name was Louella, everybody called her "Lou." I have uploaded a Sanborn map, also provided by a cartographer at my university, showing its approximate location. I'd give anything to see a photo of that dwelling before it was destroyed. In the 1978 map below, you can see the lot, which is still empty. What memories. An aside: my great grandmother never learned to drive. She walked all over the Grove -- even to the thrift store in the Episcopalian church in the Village. She loved to catch the bus to play Jai alai, too. She was something else.
COCONUT GROVE 1938
COCONUT GROVE 1951
COCONUT GROVE 1978
COCONUT GROVE 2009 (mostly "West Grove" I think)
Approximate location of the Sugar Shack boarding house on Grand Ave west of Douglas.
If you ever shopped at the first Coconut Grove Farmer's Market, you may have seen Lou at the stand run by her daughter and son in law Lillie (aka Bahama Mama) and Richard. They are pictured with customers below.
An article on the old Grove Farmer's Market is here:
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
The Barnacle
As shared elsewhere, I captured this footage of the Barnacle, a historic site in Miami’s Coconut Grove, in 2013. For years, like many, I pas...
-
I have marveled at how so many of us are looking back at our shared memories of our beloved Coconut Grove via social media sites like Facebo...
-
I am preparing to share a children's book I wrote that is inspired by my grandmother Lillie "Bahama Mama" Earvin who was known...
-
As shared elsewhere, I captured this footage of the Barnacle, a historic site in Miami’s Coconut Grove, in 2013. For years, like many, I pas...














No comments:
Post a Comment